CAM Exhibitions Director
Exhibitions Director Position Summary
If you are CAM’s Exhibitions Director, you believe that contemporary art is a vehicle to ignite ideas, inspire innovation and catalyze economic development. You know that art is essential to humanity and you will be unstoppable, creative and resourceful in developing artistic partnerships that champion CAM’s exhibitions and programs. You believe that art museums are change agents and you will summon all of your extraordinary powers– designing, speaking, negotiating, collaborating, celebrating, coaching—and everything you’ve got to keep CAM a force in the creative community. You believe that a museum can love you back and you are ALL IN to ensure that everyone connected with CAM (colleagues, artists, donors, funders, students, members, visitors) feels that love. You will be out in the community on behalf of CAM and you believe that your job will be fun, different and meaningful every day and every night. You own the integrity, organizational skills, grit, team spirit, sense of wonder, energy and flexibility to make it happen. You believe in CAM.
Exhibitions Director Position Mechanics
The Exhibitions Director is a defining part of CAM’s artistic leadership team. Working in tandem with the Executive Director will help to refine CAM’s emerging spirit within the immediate community and also search for new avenues and arenas of expression through exhibitions, happenings and programming that merge conventional museum approaches to the widening world of art, design and creativity. Boundary-crossing combined with the necessary and practical skills needed for project development and management is critical. The Exhibitions Director will engage enthusiastically and effectively in sharing CAM’s story with artistic and community leaders, elected officials and corporate partners in a wide variety of social settings. Travel within North Carolina and attendance at CAM and community events on evenings and weekends is essential. The Executive Director and the Executive Committee of the Board of Directors will provide supervision and the annual performance review. This position is fulltime and permanent.
Exhibitions Director Position Responsibilities
- Lead exhibition project/content development while exploring, leading and guiding the research and identification of exhibition and experiential projects in tandem with staff, artists, museums, galleries, guest curators and traveling exhibitions.
- Develop and manage exhibition budgets and schedules, both current and long-range
- Support excellence while overseeing on-time and under-budget performance.
- Coordinate with other museums on traveling exhibitions and programs including the effective completion of contract negotiation, communication, budgets, insurance, etc.
- Create and develop relationships with consultants, specialists and contractors that support the exhibitions program including graphic designers, art handlers, preparators, lighting designers, audio visual technicians and other specialists to assure that CAM’s visual and creative identity is maintained at the highest level.
- Assist in the development and implementation of CAM’s educational programing and events including assistance with training materials, programs, public presentations/lectures, and community engagement to inspire, engage and empower the CAM community through art, design and creativity.
- Build professional relationships with museums, galleries, libraries, foundations and other organizations to support the promotion of contemporary art and design.
- Assist with maintaining the galleries and interior spaces to ensure the highest quality exhibitions are possible.
- Represent CAM at community, government, and corporate events.
- Assist staff and board with the development of annual budgets as well as the cultivation and solicitation of grants and sponsorships for exhibitions and programs.
CAM Raleigh is an equal opportunity employer that welcomes all to apply, including protected veterans and individuals living with disabilities.
Master’s degree and minimum of ten years of direct museum and gallery experience in a similar position.
Salary commensurate with experience. Benefits include paid vacation and paid holidays.
Please send a cover letter, a resume, three references and work/portfolio samples as one PDF file to Andrea Hoyt at RS Field Group: firstname.lastname@example.org. All inquiries are confidential.